try clicking on a pic to open full size version

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

National Franciscan Monastery

Awhile ago Kristin got me a voucher for a photography class in DC (she is the best gift giver). So I took an architectural photography class at the National Franciscan Monastery hidden in an out of the way corner of DC. It was really fun, a beautiful spot, and I learned a ton.


 These cloisters surrounded the large garden in front of the monastery, which was nice because it was raining so we could shoot from underneath. 


I only shot a couple inside because their were people worshiping and I didn't have a super wide angle lens. Apparently the layout of the center of a monastery is different than that of a cathedral or a church, so there are 4 almost equal sides with an altar in the very center. This shot I actually took before I changed the white balance from cloudy to indoor lighting, but I kinda like the golden glow.

 Along the cloisters were these beautiful mosaics of scenes from the life of the Savior. These are a couple of my favorites: The Annunciation and the Garden of Gethsemane. 




 And of course being a monastery for monks of the Franciscan order, there were 2 large statues of St. Francis in the garden, one in front of a small simple stone chapel.

3 comments:

  1. wow! these are absoluetly gorgeous! what a neat place to go take pictures. totally your style! these pictures say "SAM!" all the way. I love them! I especially love the 4rth one with the view through the spires/columns. and the old doors too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, these are amazing. The columns in the photos really show the depth and space of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, these are beautiful. I cried when I looked at them because I felt the spirit of the place and from your feelings for the Savior. Love you and Krisitin and Isaac so much!

    ReplyDelete